Monday, October 21, 2019

The Schuylkill Smorgasbord

As Ritaluck would have it -- Janet and Dave were arriving on Thursday, which happened to be the day I'd set aside to make HALUPKEES.

Basically, it's cabbage rolls -- stuffed with hamburger, rice, onions, etc -- cooked in a tomato sauce. This is the food of John's childhood. His mother rolled BEAUTIFUL halupkees, and she made them often. We served halupkees at our wedding...

 On this day, the minute I got out of bed, I started this job...and I also put John to work. There are three main elements to this polish dish.

1.Preparing the cabbage leaves, the meat mixture and the sauce.
2. THEN, ROLLING the damn things (that takes F.O.R.E.V.E.R.)
3. Finally -- COOKING them (I use a pressure cooker).

John is always DELIGHTED when I agree to make his beloved halupkees...
Two large heads of cabbage makes three big pots.  (they FREEZE well).
I also made Mrs. T's perogies -- so, basically, this was a Schuylkill County Smorgasbord...
IT WAS SO GREAT to have such wonderful surprise company at our table.
Luckily, they'll be here for breakfast, too. I WONDER WHAT I SHOULD COOK??

No comments:

Post a Comment