Thursday, September 12, 2019

The SUMMER OF THE KENMORE...(The First Four)...

Okay -- so, this summer, while Mary was up there in Minnesota -- having her first experience with "Swedish Death Cleaning"-- I became obsessed with VINTAGE KENMORE SEWING MACHINES.

Sadly -- what I've been doing is really QUITE THE OPPOSITE of Swedish Death Cleaning...

All summer, I've been collecting the HEAVIEST SEWING MACHINE ever made by man. A vintage Kenmore #158, circa 1973, weighs about 600 pounds...(that is only a slight exaggeration)

To review...

Kenmore #1: 
Carrie wanted a decent sewing machine for her daughter, Elizabeth. I paid $25 for a pristine #158...
Kenny #1 -- and Elizabeth is LOVING IT...


Kenmore #2:

Ronda owns 3 Featherweights.  But now and then, she needs a zigzag.  On her first visit EVER to the Salvation Army, she paid $10 for a beautiful vintage Kenny in a sweet little cabinet.
Kenny #2 was a complete RITALUCK bargain!
Kenmore #3:

I bought this one for myself -- but then, Deena retired (after 27 years at ADM) -- and I wanted to give her a gift.  Even though she owns 5 Featherweights -- she still fondly remembers her Kenmore...
It took Deena 20 years to wear out her first Kenmore...And I am hoping she enjoys this Kenny for another 20 years...
So -- now -- how did I stumble onto YET ANOTHER KENMORE SEWING MACHINE?? ugh...you know how Ritaluck works, people -- I can't stop it from happening -- my job is just to be grateful...

Kenmore #4: 

It came up on my Facebook feed. I recently joined a group called "Vintage Kenmore Sewing Machines"...

This ad popped up, "Older Kenmore in a cabinet.  $25."

As it happens -- this machine was at a little house right on my way to the YMCA.  I stopped in just to take a look...and it was rough.  The house AND the sewing machine.  ugh.  It was sitting in a shack in back yard....and the cabinet was covered with mildew....there was rust on both the throat plate and the handwheel.  Ugh.  Nobody is going to buy this sewing machine...not even for $25...

I was about to walk away -- when an adorable toddler walked over to me. He had a head full of blonde curls, and he put his tiny hand on my leg, looked up and said (clear as a bell)..."Are you okay?"

My heart melted...I looked down at this little guy and said, "yes, I'm fine..."...and he gently patted me before he walked back into the house...
Of course -- I BROUGHT IT HOME...
I think this is the EXACT MODEL I had in 1973...
I sewed on it for 20 years...
This machine became my biggest project yet. I oiled it, and applied some heat (hairdryer)...
I cleaned the cabinet, and the rust on the metal parts disappeared with a greenie and some elbow grease...
It sews like a dream....I set it up in the middle of my small living room and sewed a t-shirt quilt for the next three days.  I had completely forgotten how smooth and powerful my old Kenmore was...

Ahhh...bliss...

Next time -- you'll meet Kenny #5, #6,

And -- NO -- I'M NOT KIDDING...!!

No comments:

Post a Comment