Monday, September 16, 2019

Making New Pillowcases

One of the big thrills of my never-ending thrift store escapades is finding high quality bed linens. I am addicted to beautiful cotton sheets. I simply cannot resist a Land's End white sheet...or a 100% Supima Cotton Queen size fitted sheet from Wamsutta.

But I seldom find a complete "set".

Fortunately -- I SEW!!  And there's nothing I enjoy more than using my sewing skills to create new "sheet sets".  I might cut up an ivory top sheet to make new pillowcases...and I'll cut up a white pillowcase to trim both new cases.



For example, I had ONE pillowcase with this beautiful trim all around the edge.  And a second lone  pillowcase.
If I cut up both pillowcases -- I can make two new cases with the fancy trim on just one side.
The last step in my process is to launder the new cases and hang them out on the line to dry...
I love, love, love the feel of vintage cotton sheets...and I can make many new pillowcases out of one sheet. I rip the sheet straight down...Most of them will look like this...with the "fancy" on just one side.
I do not waste an inch of this fine vintage cotton...
I always have shorter pieces, leftover from the bottom...I use the less interesting bottom hem to make several plain pillowcases.
Hey -- few people are having THIS MUCH FUN doing something that is both cheap AND legal.
Shockingly, I AM NOT DONE with vintage Kenmores...ugh...

But I am a little embarrassed by this new addiction.  So I'm taking a break.  (in TELLING you about it -- not necessarily in  ACTUALLY DOING it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment