Thursday, February 7, 2019

Mary's Annual Iowa visit

The bad news is that MARY ISN'T COMING TO IOWA TODAY...  (I'll tell you WHY tomorrow.)

The good news is that we are just postponing her visit for a coupla weeks...and, because of this unexpected delay, I think we have time to plan something VERY SPECIAL...

From a blog post I wrote in 2011:

*******************

I first met Mary Mulari when I owned my store -- "Rita's Sew Fun". Yes -- that is the name of this blog. I love when things come full circle...

Once a year -- my old crew gets together for our "annual reunion breakfast" -- and we usually do it when Mary is in town. Can you guess the restaurant we picked?

Here's another clue...

My favorite thing on the menu!! "Eggs in a basket" -- this was the first thing I learned to cook as a child. Eggs fried in a hole I created in a slice of white bread...yummo...YES -- IT'S THE CRACKER BARRELL...

Mary, Judy, me, Phyllis and Ronda...

Judy brings GIFTS SHE'S MADE for all of us...it's a lot of pressure...and every year...HER SEWING IS A BLOG POST ALL BY ITSELF...


This is the best picture I have of Ronda and Phyllis...

We talk, we laugh, we try to do an annual catch-up. Last year, Mary brought pictures of her wedding...We always do a little "sew and tell". And it is wonderful for us to see what the others are working on. Ronda has settled into a sewing groove that is all about making BLANKETS...she loves, loves, loves, shopping for flannel -- then picking out the exact right patterns for whoever is going to receive the gift. She has a ready supply of baby blankets -- and all her grandchildren have received the PERFECT personalized blanket...which (hopefully) they will treasure for years.

Phyllis has always been our serious FITTING person...and she sews every day, for herself and LOTS of other people. She's the one to call if you have a hard-to-fit wedding party and she actually seems to ENJOY making little flower girl dresses, etc. Some of my favorite clothes of my life were made by Phyllis Krogman...she is the master seamstress.

Then there's Judy. OH MY GOD. The woman is a phenom...she sews, she embroiders, she knits...there clearly are not enough hours in the day. After battling a horrible cancer -- Judy has come back with a roaring energy and whenever I spend time with her, I am inspired. To sew more -- THAT'S FOR SURE -- but after what she's been through, I admire her determination to give back, to be creative, to do what she loves -- which is really how you treasure each moment.... and make it matter...

Well -- I just can't say enough about this crew. And I am so lucky to have them in my life...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like awesome talented people! Have a great day! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete