Saturday, February 2, 2019

Kathy's Perfect Coleslaw

The third delicious item on the menu for our Cold-Day-Dinner was coleslaw.

John's task was to grate the cabbage and carrots.

I am a BIG FAN of coleslaw. But I wish I had a nickel for every time I ordered it in a restaurant, only to be disappointed.

The SECRET to the perfect coleslaw is, of course, the dressing.

Again, I turn to my Pennsylvania friend Kathy Keefer...one of the best cooks I know.

I cannot tell you how many times I've had to call Kathy to ask for this recipe. For years,  it was taped to the inside of a cupboard door. But -- through some quirk of accidental housekeeping...it disappeared.

So, every time I make coleslaw, I call Kathy. Talking to Kathy is always a nice bonus in my day...so, for me, coleslaw brings DOUBLE PLEASURE...

Kathy's Perfect Coleslaw Dressing

1 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of white vinegar
1/4 cup of milk

Whisk the dressing ingredients, pour over the shredded cabbage/carrots...Stir.

Really. It is THAT GOOD. Simple and delicious..!!
Mayonnaise -- not Miracle Whip.

White vinegar -- not apple cider.

DELICIOUS..Thanks, Kathy!! It is PERFECT EVERY TIME..!!

Cal and Jeanne arrived right on time -- and our late lunch was a delightful thing to do on this Artic Day. Jeanne brought a delicious bundt cake for dessert (which I figured she would)...and we talked about the food of our childhood. Cal and I talked about Dad's Army Potatoes, and John talked about his mother's spaghetti and meatballs.

Looking back, it seems odd that the only spaghetti we ate during our childhood was out of a can.  Chef Boyardee.  Really...doesn't that seem weird?  Hey -- it was Iowa in the 50's...

Putting together this very simple three-item meal took the two of us all day.  WHAT'S THAT ABOUT?   My mother used to cook a big meal every day for 8 people...HOW ON EARTH DID SHE DO THAT??

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the four of us, eating this most perfect meal....on the coldest day of our lives....

But that's okay.  Sometimes, you need to live in the moment instead of worrying about blogging about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment