Wednesday, February 27, 2019

I Sewed A Chair

If this thing is working, I'm posting this ORIGINAL BLOG POST on Wednesday, February 27.  Today, Mary will be at an all-day-TMBC-Library-Sew-In.  We are workshopping a new pattern for her...and I think we'll be good at it!!

It's so nice to have something to look forward to at the  end of this BRUTAL winter. I can't even count the number of days school has been cancelled, and I haven't been able to get out of my long driveway.

I HAVE LOTS OF TIME ON MY HANDS...so....what worthwhile project could I be working on? That would become a kind of a "momento" of this horrible winter??

Of course, I WAS SITTING ON IT...!!

For many years, I've struggled to find just the right CHAIRS for my kitchen table. The table is perfect, you see. It's a 60" round oak table I bought for $150 -- in Pennsylvania -- as I was leaving that state and moving to Iowa. (Kathy talked me into it...and, well, heck, we were already renting the moving van...It seemed like a good idea at the time.).

So, I love the table. But I've had about a dozen different sets of chairs over the years. And I've never found just the right chair...They were either boring, or uncomfortable...or they fell apart, or were too heavy.

Finding just the right CHAIRS has been a bigger challenge than finding just the right SHOES...I find them, they look good, I buy them, I am hopeful...

But then they suck.


So -- these are my latest kitchen chairs. They are very sturdy, yet comfortable. Lightweight yet strong...I AM SOO HOPEFUL.

Really -- I didn't hate the upholstery. But I always figured one day, I'd do them over...I paid $3 per chair at the local DAV thrift store. Holy Cow!1  What a bargain. And I've had them for about 6 months now...everybody likes them...so, let me see...how could I re-make them? I'd been stuck in my house for two days when I decided THIS WAS MY NEW MISSION..

But, part of the challenge was that I COULD NOT LEAVE MY HOUSE.  So, everything had to come from my existing stash.  Of fabric -- or t-shirts -- or whatever...hummmm...
Oh, yes. All I had to do was look in my "stash". The seat is zebra corduroy!! OF COURSE IT IS. I remember buying it during a Wisconsin Thrift Day with my friend Deanna!! I KNEW ONE DAY IT WOULD COME IN HANDY...
The back of this chair is something very different...and I actually got Chair #2 done in time for Mary's visit.

YOU ARE GONNA LOVE IT..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment