Friday, April 21, 2017

Fat Camp Update

When I posted my two Frankensewing pictures the other day, I didn't realize they would strike everybody as my "before" and "after" photos from Fat Camp.
Many of you have written to ask what was my key to my weight-loss success.

Hey...if I knew the answer to that question, I'D BE RICH!!

Back in 2009, I saw a picture of myself at Elliott and Emily's wedding. I weighed 325 pounds and looked terrible. OH MY GOD, I was fat. I never wore that outfit again -- and that photo caused a click in my brain.  Over the next two years, I lost nearly 100 pounds.

But this time around is different. There was no one moment...no click in my brain... I just got lucky.

Really. I unexpectedly had the chance to go to Fat Camp -- I was in a position to say yes -- AND I DID!!

Weight has been my lifelong battle. I wrote the book, remember? LIFE IS NOT A DRESS SIZE...and I have always tried to make my life about something more important than how much I weigh. Which is why I have been reluctant to blog about "my weight loss journey".

The irony, of course, is that as much as I say I don't want to be defined by my weight -- I absolutely know I will have a better life -- and a much LONGER life if I can lose weight.

So, if anything I've done might inspire somebody out there to make some changes, I've decided to blog about it...a little...now and then...

Being aware, of course, that THERE IS NOTHING MORE BORING THAN SOMEBODY TALKING ABOUT THEIR LATEST DIET...

One thing I want to say is that there is no one "KEY" to success. What works for me may not work for you. I was very lucky to have the opportunity to go to Fat Camp when I did. It changed my life. But, when I break it down...these three big things are actually three simple little things.

It's about outlook and habit...

1. I STOPPED WORRYING ABOUT FOOD. Before Fat Camp, I spent an inordinate amount of time every single day worrying about shopping, cooking, and planning what I would eat, what John would eat, whether or not we'd be going out for a meal... how to use the leftovers...yada yada.

Having a little Styrofoam box delivered to my room three times a day, at the right time, and in the proper proportions, was LIFE CHANGING. I learned that I didn't have to love everything I eat...food is just fuel...it's not my happiness. A $2.50 Healthy Choice frozen entree is fine with me. If I'm lucky enough to go out to lunch with friends, I take half of it home for supper. If I feel like dessert -- my friends are happy to share it with me, and I am thrilled with just a few bites.

2. I DON'T SKIP MEALS. Ever. One of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life was skipping meals...thinking that if I was NOT eating those calories, I was doing good. But, now I understand that I shut down my metabolism. NOW -- I NEVER SKIP MEALS. I get it...I really get it...

Eating at regular times has become part of my job. I eat breakfast by 8:30. I love breakfast!! It can be cereal, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt or fruit. I eat lunch by 1:00, and supper before 7:00.

3. I QUIT SITTING IN MY CHAIR. Before Fat Camp, I was sitting in my chair 10 or 12 hours a day. SITTING IS THE NEW SMOKING. I joined the YMCA, I go to Swimfit classes 4 or 5 times a week, I get on my treadmill, I take the kids to the park, I clean the basement, I walk around whenever I can...if I'm at the grocery store, in the parking lot, or at a thrift store -- I take the LONG WAY around. And then I do it one more time, just for good measure.

**************

When I arrived at Fat Camp, Conn (my trainer) told me I was not the oldest client he ever had, nor was I the fattest client he ever had...But, at 67 years old, and nearly 300 pounds, I was definitely at the top of his list, "Least Likely To Succeed."

Yet -- here I am. Still doing it...making different choices, every single day, feeling better, and losing weight...bit by little bit. I am THRILLED to be able to take Lilly to New York City, and walk for miles, climb the subway steps and not worry about looking for a bench because I need to sit down. (good thing, because THERE ARE NO BENCHES in the Big Apple.)

Here's the big thing. I AM GRATEFUL. Grateful to be able to make these choices. I don't beat myself up about how I got this fat. It took a long time to gain the weight, and it will take a long time to lose it. That's okay with me. But I don't worry one bit about hitting a certain goal, or losing "X" amount of weight. No matter how much I weigh, I'm going to make the most out of EACH day I'm given...

Because I know LIFE IS NOT A DRESS SIZE...




2 comments:

  1. I'll say it again, I am proud of you. You are doing something so great for yourself for a change. You are a wonderful person, I miss your laugh, and thoughs, and ideas, Rita. I miss seeing you and having little talks like we used to at the store. You are an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete