Saturday, April 4, 2015

Warren's First 5K

Warren was a LATE walker. He didn't actually do it until last September. Then, JUST AS HE WAS GETTING GOOD AT IT -- boom -- we had a long, cold, snowy winter...
So, on this March day, he discovered he could actually RUN...
AND RUN....
The good news is that all that worrying we did about Warren not walking was a waste of time. Clearly, he walks just fine...AND WHO KNEW RUNNING WAS AN OPTION?? He was delighted...and ran in a straight line. AWAY FROM ME.  At first, I took a few pictures, thinking it was one of those watershed moments...and he was so thrilled...

But then, I started to call his name. It was about 7:30 at night, and would be dark soon.  Me yelling "WARREN -- COME BACK HERE." at the top of my lungs didn't even cause him to look back.

HE WAS RUNNING...and running...and running...I wondered what was on the other side of the treeline. Probably a corn field. Maybe coyotes...

At some point, I knew I could NOT catch him. And every time I tried to catch up, he just ran faster....I had no choice but to turn around and head back to the house to get reinforcements (his sister, Lilly)...

When Ross came back.

THANK GOD....
Ross called, "Hey, buddy!" And Warren turned on his heel and ran BACK...All Ross had to do was stand there and wait....
Eventually, the boys made their way back to the house. (this is a REALLY big field)
You can see Amy's two dogs...(little Rocco and shaggy Tillie in the background).
Dogs love Ross. Fortunately, little boys do, too.
I can still see the look on Warren's face. He was SO DELIGHTED with himself...

One skill at a time, eh?  Today -- running.  Tomorrow -- listening....

No comments:

Post a Comment