Thursday, April 9, 2015

Schaumburg Weekend

For my birthday, John and I went to Chicago for the weekend. Well, actually -- we went to Schaumburg -- a northwest suburb. John isn't much of a traveler -- but he does recognize that every now and then, it's good to get away from your regular life.

No phone calls, no computer...no cleaning, no cooking...hey -- I'M ALL IN...

This weekend trip is "our thing".  We started going to Schaumburg and eating at Yu's 25 years ago, when we had two boys living at home.  Life changes, tho.  I was doing a lot of travel with my job.  Our boys moved away -- we had our house all to ourselves...there was no need for a weekend "getaway". 

Then -- what do you know -- the boys are back!!  Along with two adorable grandchildren.  I couldn't be happier about that.  But the trade-off is that privacy is once again a rare thing.   So we're headed back to Schaumburg.
In Iowa -- we had enough warm weather to melt all the snow. But Schaumburg still had some remnants of snowplow mountains in their parking lots...
Our favorite restaurant is Yu's Mandarin...the food is always awesome...
John HATES it when I take pictures of food...but I did try to sneak this one of the Pu Pu platter...(sadly, we had already eaten all the appetizers).
The BEST part of Yu's is the glass wall. There are five cooks on the other side of the glass, with live fire, and a second line of sous chefs...cooking on these huge woks. It's like watching theater the entire time you're in the dining room...
AND, another first. We RENTED a movie. (we've rented movies in hotel rooms before -- but this was our first regular movie). The Imitation Game was a great movie. And an amazing history lesson.

Every couple gets out of sync now and then.I highly recommend a weekend getaway.
Life is all about accepting changes. This weekend wasn't quite like 25 years ago...that was then -- and this is now...lol.   We did many things we've always done.  We stayed at the same hotel, ate at the same restaurants.  And, then -- we also enjoyed the movie (and, to be completely honest -- I also packed a jigsaw puzzle)...

1 comment:

  1. I was in Schaumberg just 2 weeeks ago. We ate a LuMalnotti's and Portillo's, I had a PotBelly sandwich, Chicago Mix Popcorn and Culver's Iced Cutard while there too. 1st time adventrue there for me. There just happened to be a pretty cool Quilt Show happening that weekend.

    ReplyDelete