Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Better than Angie's List

One minute your life is fine, the next minute it is sh____. Here's how it happens.....

It was a typical morning. John got up at 6:00 and did what he always does. He took a shower and got dressed.

But suddenly, there was no water in the house...no water in the bathroom, no water in the kitchen...ugh...

He checked out a few things...the breakers in our electrical panel were okay....and there were no giant sinkholes in our yard. Puzzled -- he did what any retired guy would do. He got in his car and went off to breakfast with his buddies so they could talk about the evil Administration...

When I got up at 8:00 to do what I always do. No -- wait....I can't take a shower. And I can't flush the toilet. I can't even make a cup of coffee.

Now -- this is the point where I started to think about my life. First of all -- how many wonderful, terrific, joyous things we take completely for granted. Running water being #1 on that list.

And with no water -- how quickly life gets messy. And smelly....

I played it out in my head. We'll call somebody and probably have to leave a message. If and when the somebody calls us back -- we'll have to wait around the house for them to come. Then, after they figure out what the problem is -- they'll have to order the part. We could be without water for days...hey -- it happens.

But I understand how these things work. This is not the end of the world. I am a flexible person. By the time John came home at 10:00 -- I was working on Plan B. I was moving in with Elliott and Emily up the road. I already had my bag packed..

John was looking up a phone number for Johnny Ploog (who put in our water service 35 years ago) when I went downstairs to gather up the outfits I made for Lillian this week. Then I would be on my way to my new temporary home -- coffee and a SHOWER. There was a knock on the basement door.

IT WAS OUR WATER GUY.. Seriously. We haven't seen him in 35 years.  I had to blink... There he was -- standing at the basement door -- five minutes after John called him.  Johnny Ploog. Who, at that moment in time -- looked like a SuperHero. All he needed was a cape...

As it turns out --- Mr. Ploog a.k.a. Superman Water Guy was working half a mile away at a neighbor's house when he got the call from my John on his cellphone.

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES???

He climbed over t-shirt mountain to get to the little box that controls our water pump. He suspected the little electrical thingies inside had quit working. The bits and pieces that are Made in China do that a lot. They just quit working. Of course, he knows this about them. Which is why he ALWAYS INSTALLS the same box -- in every house he works on -- which is why he happens to have A NEW LITTLE BOX OUT IN THE BACK OF HIS SERVICE TRUCK.

Five minutes after his arrival -- he'd hooked up the brand new little box -- and we were back in business. WATER EVERYWHERE...

I know you are sick of hearing this. But -- yes -- I LOVE MY LIFE...




No comments:

Post a Comment