Monday, May 17, 2010

Ellen's Stardust Diner

I love New York City. The people, the action, the theater, the museums, the garment district, the buses and subways -- I love it all. But it will be no surprise to you to hear that my absolute favorite place is Ellen's Stardust Diner on the corner of Broadway and 51st St. The truth is -- a diner is more my speed...I'm a simple girl at heart. The unique thing about Ellen's is that the waiters and waitresses all SING. And, oh, boy -- CAN THEY SING...!! These are the young men and women from all over the country who have come to New York to follow their dream.

But they haven't made it yet....so, they wait tables at Ellen's -- using their tip money to pay for vocal lessons, dance classes or acting lessons. They go to auditions when they're not working -- always trying to get OUT of Ellen's Stardust Diner. And many of them do. They end up in shows like Wicked or Les Miz...this is a picture of Ann...on our last night in New York City...at Ellen's.




The waiters and waitresses at Ellen's are young people with hopes and dreams and energy. I love that they took a a risk...moved to a big city...chasing their dream. TO SING ON BROADWAY. Which, of course, they do EVERY NIGHT!

Over the years, some of my most memorable musical moments have happened NOT sitting in a $100 theater seat -- but, having a milkshake at Ellen's Stardust Diner... if you watch this little video, you'll see what I mean...


No comments:

Post a Comment