Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Lilly and Lace

There was a time -- oh, sooo long ago (when she was 4), when Lilly declared, "A girl can never go wrong with pink".

But that was then -- and this is now.  She HATES pink, and wouldn't be caught dead in any kind of Princess thing. She much prefers t-shirts and blue jeans...and getting her to dress up is like pulling teeth. (she's actually much more willing to DO THAT, come to think of it...)
 
I know T-shirts are today's standard kid-attire...but since she's my first (and only) experience raising a girl -- I'd like her to experience a bit of "dressing up" for special occasions, y'know??
Fortunately, I realized this girl LOVES LACE..!! Really?? What are the chances?? Although she completely eschews all-things-girly-pink-or-ruffly...SHE LOVES LACE..!!

So, my thrifting ONCE AGAIN comes in handy. Turns out, I am able to put a lace back in just about any t-shirt...or add a lace panel to the side of a pair of jeans, or as a patch...LACE CAN BE FUN..!!
This is the back of a shirt I had to cut down to fit her....
The front v-neck was too low....
So, I added a 2" strip of fabric behind the first v-neck...
A lace v-neck I added to an existing shirt.
Which she LOVED...
This dress had to be made smaller, I had to shorten the sleeves, and add another lace insert in the neckline.
But the real star was the existing back..!!
It's fun for me to remodel or restyle a thrift-store lace garment into something Lilly will wear. Just another example of how sewing skills come in handy.

Really...the kids say "Sewing is Grandma's Super-Power"...

Everybody should have at least one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment