Saturday, December 30, 2017

Fritatta!!

This was the second blog post I ever wrote...I LOVE that it was about a fritatta!! And the pictures are reminding me that one day....not so far from now...IT WILL BE WARM AGAIN. And we'll be eating on the porch, enjoying the hummingbirds.



Two of my favorite people in the world -- my sister Ronda and our good friend Phyllis -- came for breakfast on my porch. I made a fritatta. Every woman should have one "go to" delicious thing she cooks really, really well. Years ago, at a Sunday morning breakfast brunch in New York City -- I discovered fritattas. Since then, I've made them with feta cheese, spinach, leftover spaghetti or hashbrowns, green onions -- it is a very flexible dish.

Fritattas are often featured on my favorite cooking shows (yes, I am addicted to the Food Network!). Another great thing about a fritatta is that you can make it on top of the stove, or in the oven. It is great for leftover vegetables, macaroni and cheese, meat, olives, leftover green beans...whatever you like. Here's the one I made:


Cheese/Bacon/Fritatta


In a mixing bowl, beat 6 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk. Then, I added:

1 cup leftover pasta

1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

1/2 small white onion, chopped

1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped

1/2 cup cooked bacon (or ham, salami, meatballs, sausage, pepperoni, etc.

Pour into a large pie pan (no crust). Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until set. (I added another handful of grated cheese on top, with lots of crispy crumbled bacon).


P.S. If you have the right size non-stick skillet, you can cook it entirely on top of the stove -- and it takes about half the time. But the secret is to have it "set" (without burning) -- and then use a plate to "flip" the whole thing so it cooks on both sides...OR -- you can start on top of the stove, and finish it off under the broiler. It's one of those easy, versatile dishes...





We also had a fruit salad and warm scones. HEY -- they were not as good as the *Fischer Scones we get at the Puyallup Fairgrounds -- but because I had a jar of delicious homemade peach jam, they moved up the taste ladder to AWESOME.


* Ever since Debra Justice gave me a Fischer Scones Mix gift box years ago -- I have occasionally made scones from scratch. Frankly -- the mix is better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment