Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Frankie

Two years ago, I decided we should get a dog. John and I had not discussed this plan...because I KNEW he was adamant about us NEVER having another dog. (that's a long story...)

I thought I wanted a rescue dog...but the dogs in the local shelters were either too old, or part pit-bull....

Then, the other problem is those darned PUPPY MILLS. Gheesh...Craig's List is full of people who pretend they are "rehoming" a dog -- but they're actually running a puppy mill.  Iowa has over 1200 of them...and it's a hard thing to avoid...

So, I went old-school.  And looked in the classified ads...
Which is where we found Roger and Maureen...and their litter of adorable mixed-breedpuppies...
Linda and Lilly went with me to bring him home. (Linda's dog, Jack, was not a fan)
John was furious. (that's an understatement).

It took a few days before we could settle on a name. Ross suggested Frank Albert Sinatra Farro.  That was perfect...and he brings SO MUCH TO OUR LIVES...
He keeps a constant eye on the place, and only barks when somebody drives in.
He sits on the arm of my chair and helps me write this blog...every day.  He is my constant companion.
Ross played this game with Frankie when he was a little puppy -- and Frankie still thinks he fits!!
Wherever Warren is -- Frankie is nearby.  When the kids spend the night, Frankie sleeps in their room until they're both asleep...then, he comes out and gets up on my lap. 
But, of course, Frankie's biggest fan is -- JOHN.  Lilly often brings Sophie with her, and Frankie wants her to know THIS IS HIS SPOT...
Recently, I took Frankie to the vet because he was chewing on his foot. The doctor thought it was allergies, but the Benadryl did not help.

Frank got worse -- and would let out a big YIP every now and then, like he was in pain. My vet went on vacation, so I made an appointment with another vet.  As I was walking out the door, John said, "whatever he needs, Rita.  I heard they can do an MRI at the Emergency Animal Hospital in Iowa City....don't worry about the money..."

Yes.  I know who I'm married to...

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping this has a happy ending. Have spent thousands on pets over the past 30+ years

    ReplyDelete