Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Paul Corona

When we had two teenage boys living with us, John and I would go to Chicago for our winter GETAWAY weekends. We stayed at a hotel in Schaumburg, and ate at nice restaurants. (there were other activities, of course, but this is not about that...)

Schaumburg is an easy 2 1/2 hour drive...
There are lots of great restaurants that we don't have in our area. One time, we went to the Macaroni Grill...
I know it's a chain -- but it was a step up from our usual fare...and their food was delicious. Like many places, they sing "Happy Birthday" to customers that are celebrating that occasion.  But -- at the Macaroni Grill -- they SING THE SONG IN ITALIAN...

Cool, eh??

Our waiter was also the Happy Birthday Singer...and he was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Wow. I mean -- he gave that song everything he had and the whole room burst into applause. When he came back to our table, I said, "you are terrific!! Will you be performing anywhere?"

Waiter, "Gee, thanks. I'm a senior at Elk Grove High School. In May, I'll be singing in their Spring musical -- OLIVER....(would you like more bread?)..."

I said, "When is it? I'm going to come see you sing.(yes to the bread -- and I'd like some Tiramasu, too.)"

Waiter: Didn't you say you're from Iowa? (this was an intermittent conversation, as he was waiting on five or six other tables...)

John: You have no idea who you're talking to...if she says she's going to come to see you sing, that's what she's going to do. The three hour drive won't matter...

When we left the Macaroni Grill that night, we gave our young waiter a generous tip...

and I asked, "What's your name, son?"

"Paul Corona"

So, that's how, on a day in May (I think 2001) -- John and I drove BACK to Elk Grove High School to see Paul Corona sing in their Spring Musical -- Oliver! I had to call the high school, as there was no way to purchase tickets in advance from a distance (days before online ticket sales!)....The secretary couldn't figure out how to take a credit card payment over the phone -- so we decided she would set two tickets aside, and meet us at the door that night...
Elk Grove High School had one kick-ass Musical Director...and Paul Corona was incredible.  It was better than many Broadway Shows I've seen (I walked out of CATS once)...
Sadly, I don't have any photos from that night. But -- FAST FORWARD...now we have FACEBOOK. So I looked up Paul Corona...and THIS is what I found out...
Paul Corona is SINGING AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA IN NEW YORK CITY!!
I ripped these pictures off his Facebook page...
And I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED...
Although he hasn't accepted me as a "friend" yet -- I was able to see that he graduated from Northwestern, and has traveled the world as an Opera Singer. He got married, lives in New York, and sings opera for the Metropolitan Opera.

HE IS AN OPERA SINGER AT LINCOLN CENTER...!!

I am always looking for a reason to visit New York City.  Hallelujah!!

GOOD FOR YOU, PAUL CORONA!!

2 comments: