Friday, July 21, 2017

Kids and Road Trips

This post is for those of you who think a "road trip" with the kids sounds like a good idea. IT'S A GREAT IDEA!! John and I both loved taking the kids up to Wisconsin last month for their train trip. And I think it's a memory they'll have for a lifetime...

But be forewarned -- today's kids expect A LOT OF ENTERTAINMENT. Yikes. When I first told the kids we were going to Wisconsin in Grandpa's new car, Warren said, "Does Grandpa have screens in the back?"

These kids are looking at screens EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY. Since the first day they were strapped into a carseat, they have ALWAYS had a screen in their face...

Hummm...this could be a long three hours...
We got up early to get a jump on the day. Both kids were so excited!!
Lilly said we were really going OLD SCHOOL ALL THE WAY -- I am actually reading the map!!
Lilly had a bag of activities...some little puzzles -- remember this one, where you move the squares around?  I had a box of USA trivia questions...
I didn't have to worry about the driving -- since I am never allowed to do that on John's watch...
We planned the big breakfast stop so that it would happen HALF WAY up there.
Timing is everything, people...the kids were good and hungry...and ready to get out of the car.
On the drive home, the kids were tired...and once again hungry. But we didn't want to prolong their time in the car -- so we stopped at one of the wonderful Wisconsin Convenience Stores -- KWIK STAR -- and ate some gas station food.

I let them each pick out some treats for dessert.  But, when we got back in the car, I said they had to earn Treat #1 by keeping their hands off each other for 10 minutes --

Oh, yes, I'm such a clever Grandma...
As it turned out -- I needn't have worried...soon after we got back on the road -- this happened...
It was a very big day...

No comments:

Post a Comment