Thursday, December 11, 2014

Quilts of Valor

Quilts of Valor is an organization I heard about because of John. It was an honor for me to write a story about them for Inspired To Sew magazine.

Here is a link to that issue.   (I hope you also enjoy the interview I did with Mary Mulari!)  I would encourage you to GET INVOLVED. They are a genuine grassroots organization, with thousands of volunteers all across the country.

John introduced me to Terry Austin, the local coordinator.  She invited us to attend their Veteran's Day event, when they awarded 25 quilts at a ceremony in Rock Island, Illinois. Here are some pictures of that day, and their beautiful quilts. It is a wonderful thing they're doing...
Terry Austin and John.  She was a terrific emcee...
There was a large audience...
Veterans from Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan...
The Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines....
Each quilt was lovingly draped on the receiving veteran....
THEN, they had patriotic cupcake refreshments...
A large group picture. 
The only WW II veteran being honored on this day was Lillian -- who was a WAVE in the Navy.
While John was comparing good old Navy days with Lillian, I was visiting with her granddaughter. On her 90th birthday, Lillian went sky-diving....

I only met Lillian briefly, but she made a big impression.  I would LOVE to hear more about her life...because I am quite sure she is an extraordinary woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment