Monday, December 1, 2014

Parade, Part Two

Okay -- we have the PERFECT spot on the parade route. And it was a FABULOUS PARADE -- full of interesting character balloons, marching bands, lots of Christmas music...

The streets were PACKED. But we have an excellent spot -- and a sturdy little bench.
I have an umbrella -- but we didn't need it. The rain never came...

The bench is great. But, Lillian prefers standing by the tree so she can see better...
Of course, when you are FIVE -- you don't understand the value of a bench!!
Lilly took this picture from her tree spot. This drum and bugle corps did a presentation right in front of us. AWESOME...
They had a beautiful mix of bands, balloons, corporate sponsors...
Lillian LOVES Frosty the Snowman!!
At some point, she acquired a little friend. 3-year old Louise, who was also watching the parade with her Grandmother...
Louise did every single thing Lilly did...
As soon as the parade actually started, Lilly wanted to stand in front of the tree (just in case they were throwing candy). A woman my age walked into our area, using a metal three-point cane. She had two children in tow, and I figured she was a Grandma, too. She was struggling, searching for a spot, trying to lean against the skinny little tree...

I walked up to check on Lilly, I pointed behind me and told the woman I had an extra seat on my bench. (Lilly and I could take turns sharing one spot.)  Ethyl was delighted  She kept saying, "are you sure?". She told me she promised her grandchildren they could go to the parade -- but she never thought about how long she'd have to stand...

Ethyl and I are enjoying the bench, and the parade was WELL ON IT'S WAY when a young Dad with two little boys walked into our area. By that time, it was impossible to find a good position on the curb. There were thousands of people standing five and six deep.

The sidewalks were packed -- and people were very pissy about late comers...

I was only using half the bench half the time (I kept going up with Lilly, to keep her from going into the middle of the street!).
(good job, Grandma)...
The young father struggled with his two little boys. He put the youngest (3) up on his shoulders...but the four-year old was left standing in a throng of adults and couldn't see a thing. I went over to them and said, "would you do me a favor and stand on my bench?" The deal was that when I was standing up front with Lilly, Jason (the oldest boy) could stand on top of the bench, next to Ethyl, so it wouldn't flip up on her. When there was a break in the action, or my knee needed a rest, it would be my turn to hold down that end of the bench.
It was a perfect plan. For most of the parade -- the Dad stood behind the bench, with Tyler on his shoulders, and Jason standing on the bench. When there was a break in the action, I'd walk back to the bench, and Jason would jump off, saying, "it's Rita's turn..."
Great job, Davenport!!
When the parade was over -- I went into the store to make arrangements to pick up my actual TREASURE (really -- you won't believe it). Larry was surprised I wasn't taking the bench home. I explained that I didn't have enough room in my car (two carseats in the back, and my new treasure was riding in the front passenger seat).

I didn't want to hurt his feelings by telling him the bench wasn't worth a special trip back to downtown Davenport.

But it was far from worthless.  The truth is, I walked away thinking that was the best five dollars I ever spent...

2 comments: