Saturday, October 5, 2013

Friends and Pumpkins

I arrived at the grocery store and smiled when I saw the outside Fall display -- a gigantic mountain of orange pumpkins.


There are so many fun things kids can do with pumpkins...
Although, no kid did this complicated carving...!!


This is actually way more my pumpkin-decorating speed...

As I walked back out to the parking lot, there was a woman in front of me, pushing a shopping cart. The only thing in the cart was a pumpkin. One perfect round, orange pumpkin. And she had the biggest smile on her face.

I watched her. She sooo reminded me of my friend Kathy Keefer -- who is a CRAZY good cook and bakes the BEST pumpkin pie in the world. She was Ross's Pennsylvania mother when he moved to Harrisburg....and they still miss each other...

So there is another definition of a friend....if you pick up the phone and say, "would you mind taking in my adult son for a few days?"  And without a moment's hesitation, the person at the other end says (with genuine enthusiasm) OF COURSE....yes, that's a lifetime friend.   Kathy has always been there for me...in so many ways over the years.  As it happened -- Ross lived with Keefer's for two months, because Kathy had Denny unpack Ross's U-Haul van and return it one day when Ross was at work.

So, yes, anytime I think of Kathy, I get a big smile.  And I decided the woman pushing the pumpkin must be a nice person. Charlie Brown was right. There is power in pumpkins...

P.S.  If I can find it, I'm going to post Kathy's recipe for Shoofly Pie.  SO DELICIOUS...

No comments:

Post a Comment