Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Boatload of Friends.


My Uncle Melvin's wife, Kathy -- was retiring from her job at Oscar Meyer. Of course, lots of people have retirement parties...a get together with their friends....maybe a little cake....
Can you make out the picture on the cake??  It seems like they're pointing to a BOAT??

Uncle Melvin wanted to do something VERY SPECIAL FOR Kathy...


He rented an entire riverboat!!

Leclaire, Iowa is home to a beautiful Riverboat -- the Twilight. It normally operates two day cruises up the Mississippi to Dubuque/Galena, where it spends the night -- then the second day back down to LeClaire.
But on this beautiful Saturday -- the whole boat belongs to our private party...

I took the BEST PICTURE of my brother Calvin and his wife Jeanne...
Every chair on the boat was full of friends and family...
I didn't know everybody.....
Even from the back -- I recognized these two. My nieces Nicole and Amy -- WITHOUT their kids.
We all enjoyed seeing our hometown from a different vantage point...

In the weeks before the Twilight boat ride, my sister Deena told me that keeping the guest list under control had become a huge problem.   She laughed and said,  "Everybody is saying YES to the invitation -- because, well because he's Uncle Melvin."
Which brings me to this important question -- can a person have too many friends??

No comments:

Post a Comment