WHA??? Driving 35 mph, I wasn't quite sure about what I WAS seeing.... I stopped the car and backed up to get a closer look...
I tried to crop my cellphone picture so you could get a better idea of what this prehistoric creature looked like...I was afraid to get too close, because I thought it would run towards me and bite me. Then, I realized I can probably still outrun a TURTLE...
Landon was very unimpressed with what was happening. I wanted him to understand how special this moment was. I told him I am 64 years old and I HAVE NEVER SEEN A TURTLE THIS BIG walking along the road. Turns out -- you can't really tell a kid when he/she should be impressed...
But, just in case this happens again -- I looked up some Snapping Turtle facts on Wikipedia:
- The snapping turtle is a very aggressive predator and one of the largest turtles in North America
- It often buries itself in the mud with only its nostrils and eyes showing, waiting for unsuspecting prey.
- These turtles will snap at anything they find threatening.
- Their snap is so powerful that it can easily shear fingers - so stay a safe distance away!
- Snapping turtles live 30-40 years on average
- The snapping turtle is New York's official state reptile