Which started me thinking about the movies I watch with Lillian. She is only 4 -- and I must admit, we watch an alarming number of Disney movies. I think all that Princess bullshit may be damaging her personality -- and I have never been a fan of vacuous Barbie.
So I'm going to try to find movies that I CAN WATCH WITH HER...instead of plugging in a cartoon movie that bores me silly. Maybe something we can talk about afterwards...Movies can be a learning moment...or a bonding opportunity.
When I think about movies you can watch WITH kids -- my initial picks were all about sports movies -- because, of course, I HAD BOYS. So, I need to think about girl movies. Dance as a topic? Or is that also creating a stereotype? Hummm...
How about a movie that take place in NEW YORK CITY???
HOLY COW -- THIS IS FUN...
- Wildcats (Goldie Hawn -- Ross's favorite movie -- we watched it a hundred times)
- Remember the Titans
- October Sky (true story -- about being poor, having a dream and launching a rocket)
- Bring It On (Cheerleaders instead of football players)
- Drumline (Nick Cannon's best (only?) movie)
- Center Stage (turn it up) about a dancer trying to make it in in NEW YORK CITY...
- Ghostbusters (all in New York City -- GREAT scenes in the NYC library?)
- Enchanted (okay -- it IS a Princess movie -- but Patrick Dempsey is real -- and there are GREAT New York City scenes)...
- The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)
- The HELP (great conversation movie -- right?) How old does Lilly need to be before we can watch this?