Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hangover, Part #4

WHAT A WEEKEND...!!

John was being honored at a ceremony in Groton, Connecticut -- where he was being inducted into the Holland Club. This event was all about the Navy and John's time on submarines. All these years, when I'd ask questions he would say, "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."  I think it's pretty darned fascinating that I have been married to this man for 40 years -- but I AM STILL LEARNING THINGS about him.

Last Thursday, in our rented van, John and I left Iowa at 4:00 AM.  At 7:00 AM, we picked up his Navy buddy, Pat McGovern, in Chicago. We pounded on for 12 more hours to Pennsylvania to hook up with Joe O'Hara. For the next three days, it was me and these three mostly-Irish submariners (68, 73 and 83 years old, respectively...) -- on a hilarious never-ending-cross-country-road trip!!

Have you seen the movie, the "Hangover"? It is (more or less) about the drunken adventures of four guys lost and confused in Las Vegas.

Well -- I swear to God...I JUST LIVED THAT WEEKEND (without the booze -- and we added naps).

What a crazy, schizophrenic weekend. On one hand, I'm living my own personal Hangover movie. And on the other hand -- it was the most moving, emotional ceremony I've ever attended.

It's going to take me some time to organize my thoughts.

But, in the meantime, here's what a real Admiral looks like...

No comments:

Post a Comment