Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Joy of Swimming

Last month I took my friend Lorna to watch her granddaughter at a swimming lesson and I realized it would be a GREAT thing for me to do with Lillian this summer.  Her parents are so busy with the day-to-day of building a new business.  And wouldn't that be a wonderful memory for Lilly to have?

Then, last week I spent four days in a moving van with Patrick McGovern -- who is a USAA swimming coach and referree. For ten years, he and his wife Rose have been ferrying their four grandchildren to swimming classes and meets. He could not stop singing the praises of the benefits of swimming.

Okay. I get it. It's a hobby you can do all by yourself and for the rest of your life. It's healthy and there are many opportunities for kids of all ages. Traveling at 70 mph along Interstate 80, Pat kept looking up websites on his I-Pad for me.

I GET IT, I GET IT...

Pat McGovern has a heart of gold. I listened to his stories for four days -- and he never had a bad word to say about anybody. He married a wonderful woman, and he only had loving, flattering things to say about his kids, his neighbors, his co-workers. Pat has lived a life built on kindness towards others and he is a seeker of the silver lining. He is the most grateful man I ever met.

So, starting this week -- I am taking my grand-nephew, Landon, to swimming lessons M-W-F at 10:30 AM.

Then, I take Lillian and Memphis (to a different pool) on Thursday evenings at 6:00 PM.


Of course, there are a few bugs to be worked out. On Landon's first day -- I delivered him to the wrong session. And on his second day -- I overslept and his Aunt Amy had to do an emergency pick-up. YIKES.

I SUCK....

I felt so bad -- I spent the rest of the day trying to make it up to him -- and -- this is the EXACT MOMENT I knew I was forgiven. Pizza Ranch lunch with ice cream/dessert pizza and a root beer float...

Sometimes, a girl's just gotta do what she's gotta do...

No comments:

Post a Comment