Monday, May 28, 2012

Vashon Island Art Studio Tour

Vashon Island was bigger than I expected...and everything was very lush and rich and green. As I drove north on the main road, through a canopy of green -- my first impression was that if the people who live here forgot to mow their grass for a month or so, their house would be swallowed up by their yard...

The actual town of Vashon was not a disappointment. It was EXACTLY the quaint little Main Street I'd been hoping for...
The building called "The Hardware Store" is actually a wonderful restaurant...highly recommended by one of the locals...

And I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. Youza. I ordered and enjoyed "Joe's Special". What a fabulous breakfast..and of course, the coffee was excellent. Here's a link to their menu

After breakfast, I did a little strolling around town...

But I had to get in my car to DRIVE to all the art studios that were open for the "tour" that day...there are 20 studios on the tour....painters, pottery, jewelry, woodworking artists...goodness...
This was one of my favorite stops.  Wonderful sculpture, eh?  It reminded me of the movie "War Horse"  But I wondered what the shipping charge would be?...and I kept thinking, "how do these Vashon people get all their stuff on and off this island?"...Then it hit me.  Again.  If you can afford sculpture, the shipping charges aren't an issue...
When I travel alone, I am always pleasantly surprised by how many interactions I have with other people.  I had so many interesting conversations on this day....with the woman on the Ferry...(she was doing a wine tasting in the grocery store and I lost her card...she should EMAIL ME so I can talk about her remarkable wine)...the guy working in the bookstore...a couple in the restaurant... many of the artists. 

My day on Vashon Island was completely awesome -- but I've saved the best for last...

Really....Ritaluck strikes again.....

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely surprise to see the name, "Vashon Island" on your blog! This is where I was raised, Rita! :) I ate at the "Hardware" store, too, when we visited last summer, it was WONDERFUL!!! Of course when I use to live on the island, it was a hardware store. :)

    I know Vashon is Artsy, but I had no idea there were 20 studios, wow! Hopefully you made it to the Burton Camp that houses all those sewing workshops and the Island quilt store! I just saw the upcoming sewing retreat listed in the Threads Magazine, I would love to go.

    Thanks for the fun surprise and trip down memory lane.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete