Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Peanut Butter Frosting

When Ross was a student at Western Illinois University -- on his 21st birthday, I drove 4 hours to deliver a chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. Even though he told me not to do it. Even though I knew he would be working. Even though I completely understood he wasn't going to take a five minute break to say hello to his mother. I drove the cake to Macomb, dropped it off with his house-mates, then got back in my car and drove home.

I did it because one day, I was hoping it would be something Ross would "remember".

And the truth is -- God only knows what a kid is going to remember...so you've got to keep trying different things, hoping for the best...

Anyway -- this is the cake John made for me -- on my birthday -- the first year we were married....

And I've made it for HIM -- and for our boys -- for every birthday they've ever had...

Sometimes the boys are home for their birthdays -- of course it is a JOY for me to make the Farro family birthday cake. But, if they're not coming home -- I make it my mission to have somebody at THAT END of their lives make the cake. Of course, Emily is in charge of Elliott and Lillian getting the cake...

Last year, Ross was surprised when his friends, Shawn & Melissa, were the ones who made the chocolate cake and peanut butter icing!!

When Melissa called to get the 'secret" recipe -- she was delighted when I told her it's a Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake Mix...lol...

But it is the frosting that makes it SPECIAL. Here it is:

1. Cook 1 cup of milk with 6 TBL of flour until it's very thick. It will be a big glob....At this point, I put it in a shallow dish, cover it with plastic and stick it in the freezer to COOL COMPLETELY.

2. With electric mixer -- beat until smooth:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. chunky peanut butter
1 cup of sugar

3. Scrape the flour glob into the butter/sugar bowl and continue to beat. (it will seem grainy at first). Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla at the last minute.

PERFECTION. THIS FROSTING IS SO GOOD -- you could eat it on a saltine cracker.

Here's the funny thing. I don't think I knew for a long time that the peanut butter icing would become "THE" Farro Family birthday tradition. That's the thing about traditions....maybe you never know when you're starting one...

1 comment:

  1. "Our cake" growing up was filled with coins - after it was baked but before it was frosted. Bus money and treat money was looked forward to.
    When you say, "You never know what will become THE tradition...", you are so correct. Make one today. Drive a cake to a college dorm, send silly care packages. . . Got to go write a silly love note to post tomorrow to my kids.

    ReplyDelete