Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Aunt Rozella's Silver

This is my favorite birthday picture...Elliott & Emily & Lillian were here for a visit...


Remember that earlier post -- this picture of my "clubbers" -- all holding a special silver dessert fork? That's because I was sharing my chocolate birthday cake with them -- and my rule is, "if we're going to eat cake, use the good silver"...

You KNOW I have a soft spot for wonderful soup spoons. I have spooners FULL of them...like this set I purchased in Ireland. And every time I grab one of these spoons, I fondly remember that wonderful sister's trip...

This is a picture of Aunt Rozella's silver. Spring Glory. Real silver. When I was a child, my Aunt Rozella was my favorite adult in the world. She put this set of silver together over the course of 25 years -- buying one piece at a time. She spent $2200, and every receipt was in the box...the last piece she purchased was the cake server. ($275 in 1976).

After Aunt Rozella died, we found the box of silver under her bed. Even though my family had eaten Thanksgiving dinner at her house for 30 years -- none of us knew she had the silver. I was stunned. It was real silver... But she had never used it. Not even once. Obviously, my aunt was "saving it for a special occasion"...and that day never happened. That made me very sad.

At Aunt Rozella's auction, I bought the silver. And my rule has always been -- any time both boys are sitting at my table -- we use the silver. Any time there's birthday cake -- we use the silver. If we are eating pie -- we use the silver....

Opening Aunt Rozella's box of silver is one way I clearly send that message to my family...you are worthy....

I'm just sayin'....

No comments:

Post a Comment