Friday, January 21, 2011

White doggie Christmas Dress

You know thrift store shopping is my hobby. For me -- it's a treasure hunt, a sport, a creative adventure. It's all those things...and do you remember this gem? With the tags still on it -- three little applique white dogs on the hem...SOO ADORABLE. I was so sure Lillian would love it...WHAT A GREAT FIND!!

The little dogs have Christmas holly collars...

There's a pink fabric behind the box pleats in the front. The only problem is, Lilly wears a size 2T, and this little number is only a size 12 months...

NO PROBLEM. I cut the sides open and added a pink pleated fabric...(using a pink t-shirt from my stash).


OF COURSE -- I had the perfect little white/pink/red striped turtleneck to wear under this little jumper...with a pair of red & white striped tights...

HOW CUTE WILL SHE BE??

You already know how this worked out...SHE HATED IT....

This morning, as I was sorting some Christmas pictures, it struck me all over again how much expectation we put on Christmas...we clean, bake, decorate, sew...This is the one time all year we make potato bologna or 20 dozen cookies...we try to carry on the family traditions and we want to create perfect holiday memories.....I wanted Lilly to be delighted with this little dress. And her reaction was quite the opposite.

But I've got to tell you -- when things DON'T work out -- sometimes that becomes the memory. For some reason -- this picture IS my Christmas 2011. And I'm sure there's a lesson...

Like -- maybe all our Christmas expectations and effort put a lot of pressure on the other people in our family...?

1 comment:

  1. Your granddaughter is adorable even when having a hissy.

    On a completely unrelated note, I got my brochure for Nancy's Notions Sewing Weekend. No Midwest YaYa Sisters? Bummer! Can you drive up and entertain people in the warehouse? Attend Mary Mulari's session and heckle her?

    ReplyDelete