Wednesday, December 23, 2020

The Ying and Yang

While the kids and I were busy all day with our Gingerbread activities -- John was confused. He took his shower (that's always a good beginning to his day) -- but then, he put his t-shirt on over the top of his robe.  Sure -- that was a bad sign, but I've learned not to make an issue of his clothes..

John was not interested in our Gingerbread event...and he slept most of the day. Although he had a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast -- he didn't want to join us for lunch.  That afternoon, he went upstairs to sleep (we were making too much noise.)

At 7:00, E&E came to pick up the kids. Lilly and Warren went upstairs to say goodbye to Grandpa -- but he was sleeping. Still? Again?

About an hour later, I was dozing in my recliner...when I heard a big THUD.

John fell in the upstairs bathroom.  The good news is there was no blood...the bad news is there was no way I could get him up.  He was conscious, but not moving. 

I called 911.  The Princeton Fire Department arrived 6 minutes later...


It was tight quarters in the upstairs bathroom. The EMT's finally got John into a transfer chair, and tested his sugar. (he has refused to take his pills or insulin for two weeks). I was surprised his sugar was only 211. (normal is between 80 and 120...if it gets as high as 600,  he would go into a diabetic coma).

Because of John's dementia, the ER allowed me to go into the room with him.   They gave him fluids, took blood, did x-rays, and  tested him for Covid (negative).

I was there for two hours.  It became clear that during these Covid times -- nobody is getting admitted to this hospital.  The ER is strictly about treat ém and street ém.  

But I was not going to take him home in the middle of the night...I wouldn't even be able to get him into the house.

So, at 11:00, I told the nurse I was going home to get some sleep.  John was where he needed to be -- and I'd come back to get him at 9:30 tomorrow morning.

See what I mean?  Ying and Yang.  Delightful day...scary night...

I actually DID get a good night's sleep...and I NEEDED THAT.  (nights around here have been pretty hairy).  The next morning, I woke up...and had a big cry.  But I have put a 5 minute limit on the pity parties...

Then, I took a shower, pulled up my big girl pants -- and went to bring John home. 

Ross came to the house that afternoon to watch some football -- and John is never better than when he's talking sports!  I made a chicken pot pie Ross could cook for their lunch -- then I went into town to run some errands.

John has agreed to take his diabetes meds and get back on his insulin.  So, at the end of the day, THAT was the silver lining.

Now -- it's FULL STEAM AHEAD FOR CHRISTMAS 2020...

In sooo many ways -- this will be the Christmas we all remember.  So -- LET'S DO THIS THING!! 


2 comments: