Monday, December 14, 2020

John's Terrible, Horrible, most Terrifying DAY...

First of all -- thanks for your kind comments and thoughts. I've tried to respond to every email -- but I know I didn't quite manage that...so I apologize if you wrote to me and I didn't write back. Just please know I read your letter, and I appreciated your concern...(and, Carol -- I loved being called Sweet Rita...I'm thinking of doing a legal name change.)

Here's the rest of the story... On Tuesday, I went over to my sister Ronda's house to do some laundry (John had overloaded the washer and it quit working).  When I got home at 3:00, John's red Toyota truck was gone.  I was not alarmed...at first...

John driving has been a big point of contention....but, the State of Iowa happily renewed his Driver's License in August WITH NO TESTS WHATSOEVER -- and he was ADAMANT about his capability and HIS RIGHT TO DRIVE (like it's an Amendment to the Constitution)...ugh...

The truth is, John was no longer comfortable driving into "town"...and since last spring, if we went somewhere together, I always drive.  

But because he NEEDS to socialize now and then (and was desperate to have a conversation with a fellow Republican), I told myself it was safe enough for John to drive to two places.  The Corner Market to get a bite to eat (6 miles away)...or his friend Gerald's house (6 miles in the opposite direction). 

It gets dark at 4:30...and John wasn't answering his cellphone.  I called the Corner Market -- they hadn't seen John.  I tried to call his friend Gerald -- but he wasn't answering either.

 At 5:00, I called in my cavalry.  My brother Cal and I went looking for John, while his wife Jeanne stayed at the house (in case John came home).

We went to Gerald's house (they had not seen John).  We drove every route home where John might have had an accident or ran out of gas.

By 7:00,  I called 911, and reported John as a missing "vulnerable" adult.  The Scott County Sheriff's Office said they would get the word out, in both Iowa and Illinois. (we live right on the border)

Then, I called Ross to tell him his father was missing. (Elliott was in Florida).

While I was on my cell phone talking to Ross (Jeanne did most of the talking on these phone calls, as I was blubbering too much)...the house phone rang.  

It was Deputy Wright from the Jasper County, Iowa Sheriff's department -- telling me HE HAD John.  John had not been injured.  But he was taking him to the hospital in Newton, Iowa to be checked out.

Wow.  That phone call came just 15 minutes after we reported John missing...

 Newton, Iowa is about 160 miles away...

***********

I promise to write the rest of the story...but right now, I'm gonna eat a few glazed donuts...

 

2 comments:

  1. Yes you are SWEET RITA ;) How terrifying ! So glad he is o.k. Are you? A few glazed donuts? I think a dozen might be in order. Big hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, I'm still praying for you and John since your first 'rona post, and have not stopped. I'm so glad that he was found so quickly after your 911 call and was uninjured.

    ReplyDelete