Wednesday, September 20, 2017

the perfect week

If you're doing it right -- every day of the week has something you look forward to. I am really, really good at this. Structuring my life so that each day becomes it's own special gift.

Hummm...as I think about it, my life has taken on it's very own "Seven Days A Week" Dishtowel philosophy. Remember those?

  • Monday/Laundry:
  • Tuesday/Ironing:
  • Wednesday/Sewing:
  • Thursday/Shopping:
  • Friday/Cleaning:
  • Saturday/Baking:
  • Sunday/Rest
Anybody who knows me knows that Monday is my CLEANING DAY. And the reason I love it so much is because CARRIE COMES.

For me, this is the kick-off to a wonderful week. I GET HELP...For a few hours every Monday, I have a somebody come to my house who's sole purpose is to HELP ME.

And I am a pig. I live a big, messy life that requires constant picking up after. There is always a mountain of laundry, and kids' toys, and sewing and projects and books...and Carrie is magic. Show just KNOWS what needs to be done...and she is the hardest working young woman I know. Really. She goes through my house like Grant through Richmond....
For special occasions, she brings cupcakes.
She also helps me with special projects. Like -- painting the ceiling? REALLY...!!
Last week, my refrigerator was not working right. I asked Carrie to clean it out -- and throw everything away that had an expiration date...(it would be better for me if I did not see these two bags that went into the garbage)...
OMG. I can't believe I found this picture. Her daughter Elizabeth just had her 10th birthday!
And here's the thing. Although I never would have written about it as it was happening, Carrie's son, Dylan, was diagnosed with cancer. He is fine now, but it was a harrowing, terrifying time.  Weeks in the hospital, chemo, radiation, surgery.  As much as you'd like to help -- you just don't know what to do for somebody when they are fighting a battle like that...

I decorated a "hospital bag" for Dylan. I bought a wheeled suitcase at a thrift store, and painted it...with his name, kind of a race car motif....(he was 11 at the time)...There was always LOTS OF STUFF to be carted into the hospital. His medications, extra clothes, books, games, etc. I cannot tell you how many times Carrie thanked me for this bag. When I gave it to her, it was filled with snacks...small bags of Pringles, peanut butter crackers, chips, granola bars, instant oatmeal...that bag became known as the place Dylan kept treats for the nurses, etc.
My cousin Kim, holding Dylan's bag. This is the only picture I have of the bag...(Kim is Carrie's Mom -- Dylan's Grandma).
I don't know if I have ever made a better gift for anybody. And the reason I started to write this blog was because I got an email the other day asking about how to paint luggage...

So -- now I have to go back to my archives...I know I've written that up before...

1 comment:

  1. I always feel great when I have a day at home and get one bit of housework done (like vacuum or dust one room), get to spend a few hours in my sewing room, and then cook a yummy dinner. Just call me mini Martha :-)
    I do remember your post about painting luggage. That was a long time ago. Fabulous bag for Dylan! So glad he's doing well. Two of my 4-H kids' nephew just went through that too. So tough.

    ReplyDelete