Friday, September 22, 2017

City Chicken

I didn't know it when I was a kid -- but our Iowa diet was very meat-and-potatoes. Salt and pepper were our only "spices", and jello puddings were considered "salads".

One of the biggest changes in my life happened when I married John and embraced my mother-in-law's cooking.  Helen Farro was an excellent cook, and she made many delicious things I'd never heard of -- like CITY CHICKEN!!

In Pottsville, Pennsylvania -- you can buy City Chicken in the grocery store -- all prepared and ready to cook.  Which is a huge time-saver, because, believe me -- preparing City Chicken is A LOT OF WORK...

Like so many things Helen made, City Chicken is more of a technique than a recipe.  But here's how she did it...
John put pieces of cut up pork and beef on to skewers.
Then you roll it in flour...
Then, an egg wash....
Then, breadcrumbs...
OF COURSE you fry them!!
AND, YES, THIS PROCESS TAKES A VERY LONG TIME...
But the end result really is delicious.  TOTALLY worth it!!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rita: Love your blog posts. I didn't think anyone outside the Detroit area knew about City Chicken! It is a family favorite, we use veal and pork and fry for a bit then pop it in the oven. One of my favorite restaurants has city chicken on its menu -- along with another of my favorites fresh kielbasa. You are right on -- Totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with something similar called "mock chicken legs". It's similar to city chicken but used beef, pork and veal and was dipped in egg and rolled in fine cracker crumbs. It was then fried and I think baked. I wanted to make these a few months ago but couldn't find any veal.

    ReplyDelete