Thursday, September 21, 2017

Painted Suitcases/Embroidered Luggage

WOW.  I had to go all the way back to 2012 to find this post...
********************

Yes, I paint my luggage...


Actually, it's one of my FAVORITE THINGS TO DO...
Other people watch the dozens of black bags go around and around the airport carousel... wondering which one is theirs...because THEY ALL LOOK ALIKE...

But my suitcases are always VERY EASY TO FIND -- and I'm the first person out on the curb, looking for my ride...
My bags have been to many, many airports over the years...including Memphis...

Reno, Cincinnati, Seattle, Chantilly, Kansas City...



NO AIRLINE could ever lose my bags...there simply is no excuse...I have the AIRPORT CODE painted right on the bag...

Here are the steps:

  1. Mod Podge any part of the bag you intend to paint. It seals the luggage fabric, otherwise, the paint just soaks in, and it won't be vibrant.  Let it dry overnight.
  2. Add your paint in layers.  I often paint a big area WHITE, then let it dry, and go in with some designs later, with other colors.  I use any kind of paint -- just those cheapo little bottles of craft paint.  
  3. Use PERMANENT felt tip markers to do the writing.  (I prefer a Sharpie, with a chisel point).
  4. When your design is complete -- use a foam brush to add two more coats of ModPodge.  (let it dry between coats).
 Believe me -- this paint job will last MUCH LONGER THAN THE BAG ITSELF..

Optional: If you want to add EMBROIDERY to your bag, you still should Mod Podge the area you are decorating. Embroider the words you want on the fabric, then cut it to fit into a specific area. Use Peel n'Stick to apply the embroidered fabric piece to your suitcase -- Then two coats of Mod Podge to protect the embroidery.



THIS SUITCASE was written up in Designs in Machine Embroidery magazine! I did all the embroidery on fabric, then cut it to fit the shapes needed for the luggage...

Sadly, last year, two of these bags were destroyed by the rough handling. Ugh. One had the handle ripped off...another lost a wheel...

Treating them with the respect they deserve, like a worn out American Flag, or a treasured Lazy Boy recliner -- I had a little funeral and burned them...

***************

I'm working on a NEW painted carry-on bag right now, even as we speak. The first step is done (I painted on the Mod Podge as a base coat).

When it's finished, I'll tell you WHERE IT SENT ON IT'S VIRGIN TRIP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment