Monday, September 25, 2017

Popovers

Last week, I spent a day in Iowa City with Anne...and I FOUND A POPOVER PAN FOR $1.50.
I'm telling you -- NOBODY should ever pass up a bargain like that.

Clearly -- It's time for a Popover update.

I ADORE POPOVERS.

I will never forget the first time I ate one of these delicious concoctions. Served up in a little metal pan at the very beautiful St. James Hotel in downtown Chicago.


I COULD NOT BELIEVE I'd never eaten one before.
Marion and I were spending a few wonderful days at the James Hotel in downtown Chicago -- and their Popovers were INCREDIBLE..!!
Reproducing those James Hotel Popovers became a mission for me....and there were some early failures I barely remember. Because I'VE GOT IT DOWN NOW...and I'm gonna make some today. They are WAY easier than you think...and it's more of a technique than a recipe...and, at this point, I am happy to report that Popovers are my Signature Dish.  YIPPEE KAYEE...
The recipe is on the opening page of this blog -- ALWAYS -- so I'm not going to type it in here. It makes a thin batter...
The important thing is to preheat your oven to a scorching 425 degrees
AND you must also preheat your popover pan...this is my new mini-popover pan!!
This picture was taken through the window, after 20 minutes...
PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT...
Be sure to stab each popover as soon as you get them out of the oven -- to release the steam -- so they don't collapse...
IT JUST DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS. Holy Cow. DELICIOUS. In my humble opinion, hot popovers turn an ordinary meal into a special event!!

You cannot make popovers in a cupcake pan, people. JUST BUY THE DAMN PAN. Amazon will deliver it to your door by the end of the week...c'mon -- you're worth it!!

The last time I made popovers, I split them in half -- and filled it with my favorite pudding. (cream 4 oz. cream cheese, alternate package of jello instant vanilla pudding, 2 c. milk)...

In the last picture, you can see my quarter pound of butter...a MUST HAVE, of course....real butter...

Margarine on a popover would be a sacrilege....like ketchup on Prime Rib...or having a brand new $3000 mattress, then using polyester sheets.....getting a brand new top of the line sewing machine, then using an old spool of $1 thread...

Depending on the size, a small Popover has 68 calories, and a large one has 110.  I'm not counting the butter, of course...
***********
MMWI: 230.2  Yeah...I feel pretty stuck at this here plateau.  MAYBE I NEED TO GO BACK TO FAT CAMP, EH??

No comments:

Post a Comment