Thursday, September 28, 2017

Potato Pancakes

In looking back at my blog posts about my Signature Dishes...I've come to a new understanding of why I have such a weight problem...ugh...

Hey -- POTATO PANCAKES.  This is another winner.  Another signature dish...Basic ingredients, very easy to make...AND ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS.

*******************
I love to cook and I love to sew...and most of the time I cook and/or sew something every day. I'm not a fancy cook...and I'm not a fancy sewer. I like things that are simple and practical.

Like, for example -- potato pancakes...

When it comes to cooking -- my late mother-in-law, Helen Farro, was a major influence. Her cooking was always more about "technique" than recipes.

And every time I make potato pancakes -- I think of Helen...

********

The ingredients are simple:

3 potatoes
1 egg
2 tbl. flour
salt to taste...

Peel the potatoes and grate into a bowl of salted ice water. (I use the food processor). Let them stand for at least 30 minutes...(or several hours -- depending on how your day is going)...This soaking pulls the starch out.

Then -- pour the shredded potatoes in a colander. Rinse well, press the water out and layer the potatoes on a clean kitchen towel to dry COMPLETELY.

Heat 1/2" of oil (375 degrees for my electric skillet).

Mix shredded potatoes with the egg, flour and salt. Using a long handled spoon, gently drop potato mixture into the hot oil -- flatten to form 5" pancakes (1/2" thick).

Fry on both sides until CRISP AND BROWN.

SO DELICIOUS...I like to eat them with a little sour cream smeared on top. If you have leftovers (don't count on it) -- keep them in the frig, and reheat in the toaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment