Saturday, March 18, 2017

NYC Train Platform Wisdom

This is a picture of my two favorite blondes...my cousin Jackie and my daughter-in-law Emily...

I've been to New York City with both Jackie and Emily.  WE HAD SUCH A GREAT TIME...

Every time I go to New York City -- I think of my earlier visits.

The Metropolitan Museum...we could never forget that visit....
Rockefeller Center....


St. Patrick's Cathedral...
Times Square...
The Rose Reading room in the New York City public library...


One of the core wisdoms of my life came from a day when Jackie and I were waiting for a train at Track #7 at Penn Station.  We were there in plenty of time...we were sure of it..

We were on the right track, we were kinda sure of it.

But the train never came. We waited...and waited...our Iowa optimism kept us standing at that place on the track for a very long time...

With just a sliver of hope left, we asked a train porter about the train we'd been waiting for in vain.  He snarled, "That train has left the station. Quit talking about that train."

We laughed so hard -- and I loved those words so much, I painted them on the back of the door in the guest bedroom...and every time I see it, I can see the two of us, standing on that platform...

For me, the wisdom is you've gotta know when it's time to move on. And there is real power in that...

No comments:

Post a Comment