Friday, March 10, 2017

Feedsack Inspiration

As you well know -- one of the joys of my life is SEWING. I do it all the time -- almost every day. There are so many aspects of sewing that bring joy to my life.

The most important thing is, of course, THE SISTERHOOD. I have always enjoyed being in the company of other women who love to sew.  We share an instant bond...on so many levels. When I meet another woman who sews, I know who she is...

In my sewing life, I've had thousands of encounters with women who sew. Sometimes, they became friends. But, more often, our meeting is brief -- we share a meal, or a speaking stage, or work on a show together. But I am telling you -- when I look back at my sewing life -- I have never met a woman who sews who wasn't both kind and smart.

And that's pretty remarkable...

At the Feedsack class last week, with my sewing sisters of the TMBC...I started to think about this sewing sisterhood...
At the class, they handed out this essay about Feedsacks...
A hexi quilt top, made from Feedsacks...
The woman who made this quilt top had an incredible eye for color, didn't she?  And I wonder about her story...and how much I would have enjoyed spending time with her...
This "friendship" quilt top has been handed down through three generations of sewing women...TIME TO FINISH THE QUILT, GIRL!!
I was SO INSPIRED by that "name" quilt -- that I started to obsess about a similar quilt top I did not buy when Mary was here. Remember our trip to the antique mall -- with all those great $15.00 quilt tops? Mary bought one, and so did I, and then Sandy went back to buy one...but we all passed on the name quilt...OH MY GOD -- what was I thinking?? COULD IT STILL BE THERE??  WAITING FOR ME??

Saturday afternoon, after our Feedsack class, and a great lunch -- I went back to that antique mall...and guess what??
I paid $1 for a big bag of Feedsack fabric scraps!!
Really -- that bag was LOADED!!
But it's just possible that some scraps really are too small to keep!!
And WHAT ABOUT THAT FRIENDSHIP QUILT??

No comments:

Post a Comment