After sewing the three small cushions for the porch sofa -- I was kinda burned out.
And, too -- it's summertime, I'm doing a lot of things with Lilly and Warren, and moving on to the three BIG cushions seemed like a really big job.
So, there was a fair bit of procrastination going on. THEN I had two funerals in one week...and it was time for me to GET BACK TO THE SOFA.
That's how it works for me. When I am happy, I sew. When I am sad, I sew. As it turns out -- it can be serger dishrags -- or it can be a porch sofa....that's how I roll...
However -- I was running low on fabric. So, when I started on the three big cushions, I laid out little bits of fabric to plan the design before I actually cut anything. There were three main fabrics, so I decided the best solution would be to do two sides yellow, two sides squiggle dot, and two sides big circles...This would give me the MOST OPTIONS -- right??
|Cushion #1 has a yellow side --|
|The other side of Cushion #1 is the big circles fabric...get it??|
|Cushion #2 has one side of squiggly dots -- except I didn't have enough fabric...|
|So, I did the best I could to match the pattern to add the 2" I needed...|
|Cushion #3 would have had one side of squiggle dots...but I only had a small piece left...so I did a patchwork design...|
- First, I did the zipper/cheat...ironing the zebra fabric on top of the old flower fabric.
- Then I made a pattern and cut out the top piece.
- I marked the center point on all four sides, and basted the top to the zebra side panel, right sides together.
- At that point, the "fitting"on the cushion was critical. It is always better to start a little too big, then snug it up...or trim it down as required. (ask me how I know this)
- Each seam was sewn three times. First, a basting stitch (so I could do the fitting) -- the second round was with my serger to clean up the edges. And, finally, I did a three step straight stitch to make it as strong as possible...
NEXT MONDAY -- I will do the official "REVEAL". Finally -- it all came together....
And we really did have a HELLUVA PORCH PARTY...!!