Friday, December 7, 2012

1970's Technology

There is nothing sweeter than a sleeping child.... After being gone for a week, I was eager to have Lillian spend the night at our house. Her Moon Room was ready to go...we had the best day ever...lots of stuff to do, people to visit, cousins to play with. She needed a nap. But she's three now. And you can't say the words, "you need a nap"...
Instead -- I said, "C'mon, hon -- you can lay down and rest. AND you can listen to your own book on tape..."


Yes. That's right. I said BOOK ON TAPE. An actual cassette tape. I have hundreds of them. Every time I see a good title at a flea market or thrift store -- Ken Follett, Patterson, Grishom, Ludlom, the alphabet series, Sara Peretsky...I BUY THEM. Also, in the last ten years, I've been buying out libraries which were switching over to CD's. Two years ago, I bought 40 titles from my local Cracker Barrell...BOOKS ON TAPE, PEOPLE....it's a fabulous technology. You can stop any time, and start right at that spot a week later. I listen to them when I'm on my treadmill or working on a sewing project. The biggest problem is finding a cassette tape player that works. Because you can't buy a new one...
HEY -- ONE MORE REASON TO THRIFT SHOP, EH??   

So, yes, I am a big fan of the 1970's technology of books on tape. Since Elliott spends a lot of time in his shop nowadays (reloading ammo for the zombie invasion) -- I gave him a player AND a his very own big bag-o-books... But I'm pretty sure it's just me and Teresa Caputo. What? You don't know who she is? THE LONG ISLAND MEDIUM!! GREAT SHOW...it's right up there with Dance Moms and Breaking Amish....

No comments:

Post a Comment