Saturday, December 3, 2011

Turkey Notes, Part #1

As it happens -- my niece Amy owns Thanksgiving. When I was growing up, my Aunt Rozella owned Thanksgiving. Hey -- in every family -- somebody's gotta do it!!

Amy does a great job -- and she welcomes MANY FAMILIES into her home for Thanksgiving. Even though we all contribute something...clearly, most of the work is done by her...

Amy goes to a LOT OF TROUBLE to set up a craft activity for all the little kids after dinner. Her other favorite Aunt -- Aunt Kaye -- brings a large selection of scrapbooking supplies to help make "Turkey Notes"...

Amy takes a picture of everybody who comes to her dinner (the crowd changes every year). Then she prints the photos -- and we try to come up something pertinent to THAT YEAR with our "turkey note".

When you look up "turkey notes" on the internet -- every single reference is to Davenport, Iowa. Apparently, it's a local custom. Actually -- I have long suspected turkey notes were a creation of Bill Wundrum, a wonderful local columnist who writes local stories...

Inspired by Bill Wundrum -- Amy has put her own spin on turkey notes. She makes a small album for every year, using the pages we've made -- and our little poems are supposed to have something to do with that particular Thanksgiving.

One year, her brother Cory (quite a hunter) wrote, "Thanksgiving Day, 2005, I saw six squirrels that were alive. Until I got out of bed...then I shot them dead..."

Cousin Kim wrote: "I hate to write this turkey note...I think I'd rather slit my throat"...

Like many families -- we are less than creative...

Amy's turkey note this year was about the fact that her turkey didn't get done in time...and she was forced to drink wine...if it happens next year, she'll start drinking beer...

This year, here I am with Amy and Nicole. (both Nicole and I are trying to stand BEHIND Amy...turns out Nicole was quicker than me...)


Here's my turkey note to go with the picture:

"Thanksgiving Day Two Thousand Eleven,
Dinner at Amy's house was going to be heaven...
I am thankful for nieces who are thoughtful and kind...
Because I forgot to have a girl of my own -- I was out of my mind..."

No comments:

Post a Comment