Thursday, December 8, 2011

Famous Picture

Of all the things in my house -- this little hutch is one of my favorites. My Uncle Wayne made it out of barnboard...and it is perfect. In this picture, it's holding a collection of blue Harker dishes. The first one I got came from my Grandma Dodds...

And -- on the top shelf -- "Grace" by Eric Enstrom. I don't actually know how long this picture has been hanging in my kitchen...but it was in this spot long before I got the hutch...
EVERY CHILD who has ever been in this house sooner or later points to that picture and says, "Uncle John"...Well, except for Lillian. Last week, she pointed to the picture and said, "Grandpa".

I used to think it was a painting -- but it's a very famous photograph, "Grace" by Eric Enstrom, done in 1914 in Minnesota. Click on this link to read the history of this famous photo.

The picture touches me -- because I think it shows a contented man with a grateful heart. A wonderful subliminal message to have watching over you...

When I recently found another copy of "Grace" in a thrift shop -- I bought it -- thinking I'd give it to Ross for Christmas.

Then, of course, I visited his apartment...

And realized HE ALREADY HAD ONE...hanging right above his kitchen table....



As it turns out -- I GAVE IT TO HIM. I'm telling you -- I am a PATHETIC shopper. I turn every birthday into the movie Groundhog Day because I buy the same presents over and over. Elliott complained when I gave him a rolling duffel three years in a row for his birthday...

When Ross was living in Pennsylvania, I sent him a Catch Phrase game -- and he told me I'd already given him two Catch Phrase games.

Maybe three is my magic number...

I've got to start writing this stuff down...ugh...

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the grandma as well? I think Ross and Elliott - I'm sure they read your blog daily - should get you the grandma one for Christmas. It would be a great gift for the next few years. :)

    Anne

    ReplyDelete