Thursday, October 1, 2020

My LIBBY LIST...

Since June, I have borrowed 62 books from my digital best friend, Libby, the FREE Library app. Yes, people, I am in my car EVERY SINGLE DAY. I do a lot of driving. It's my happy place....but there's NO WAY I managed to listen to over 60 books! lol... Here's the great thing about Libby. After getting some guidance from several book-reading-experts (thank you, Nancy, Mary, Carol, Laurie and Paula) -- I set up my three "Preferences".

1.  Audiobooks

2.  Available

3. In English.

THEN -- I browse the list, and "borrow" the books I am interested in. Libby will let me borrow six books at a time...(and, if I have books checked out from the actual library, they count against me).

I click "borrow" -- and the book goes on my shelf!!  IT'S MAGICAL...

However, since I only have the book for 14 days -- if I have six good books on my shelf, the truth is, I'll only finish one or two of them before Libby magically whisks them off my shelf -- to go back into circulation.

So, of the 60+ books on my shelf this summer -- I probably listened to about 15 of them.  Some were so bad, I returned them after only hearing a chapter or two.  Others were simply unremarkable...or too predictable to recommend.

But -- looking at that list -- there were clearly some winners.  And these are the books I highly recommend:

 

I LOVED THIS BOOK.!  And I loved having Tom Hanks reading it to me.  The life of a young boy, born into a wealthy family living in Dutch House, a mansion near Philadelphia. 

This book had me at the first chapter -- when she is sitting on a train, on her way to New York City -- with her Singer sewing machine on the floor. 


 

Such great writing!  Book women" were hired by the WPA and worked for around $28 a month delivering books in the Appalachians via horseback or on mules. It's the kind of book that makes you look up history to find out more. 

1 comment:

  1. I use Libby for books, especially diuring library shut down. I too LOVED The Dutch House.

    ReplyDelete