Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Anderson Japanese Gardens

Last Thursday, my Mystery Adventure was, once again, to Rockford, Illinois...

Rhonda Pierce lives in Illinois....and I live in Iowa. So it's a pretty easy get for us to meet halfway for lunch. WHICH WE DO. And it's fun to pick out a new town for our meets.

Last month, we hooked up with Deanna Springer (Beaver Dam, Wisconsin) -- in Rockford, Illinois. (you heard all about that). Because we ran out of time (all that pesky eating, laughing and catching up) -- we didn't get to the Anderson Japanese Gardens (this link probably won't work -- but you MUST GOOGLE IT...).

So, last week, Rhonda and I decided we should go to the Gardens before they close for the season. I got in my car, hooked up my Libby App, with a good Baldacci book...and a few hours later -- I WAS THERE.

It was a chilly, misty day, and masks are required (Illinois is adamant about masks).
This hidden gem was absolutely ASTOUNDING.
I don't know if anybody at that place enjoyed themselves more than we did that day...
A Japanese Garden requires three elements: water, rocks and plants...(the reflection is the big thing in this picture)
None of my picture do the place justice -- but I love this corbel on the bridge post -- it looks like an onion.
The original small gate (I didn't get a picture of the newer MAJOR big gate).
We actually had TWO docents.  Susan and Ed. Both very knowledgeable...and there was SO MUCH TO SEE AND LEARN.
I think Raked Gravel is such a wonderful idea, I'm gonna try to convince John this is what he should do around our flagpole. Instead of all that boring grass...

 

As Rhonda and I were both enjoying the Anderson Japanese Gardens, we remembered our visit to the Portland Japanese Gardens in 2018...

We were there for the Spring Quilt Market...and, at this point in time, you've gotta wonder when that might be happening again...

 

Mr.Anderson was inspired to create his Japanese Garden after a 1978 visit to the one in Portland. Rhonda and I both felt very lucky and happy to have visited both places.... 

But -- maybe happiness is more about attitude than luck...

The motto of this Japanese Garden is very powerful, especially during these uncertain times... 

 Be Content In This Moment...

Since I'm not into tattoos -- I think I'm gonna have to paint that on a piece of furniture....

No comments:

Post a Comment