Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Duct Cleaning

I had NO IDEA what was involved with actual "Duct Cleaning". So, of course, I assume YA'LL have my exact same knowledge base...(or -- lack thereof) -- so -- here's my Duct Cleaning Tutorial...

First of all -- I called Schebler Co. -- the very reputable local company that installed our furnace (and air conditioner). We have an annual check-up contract with them...and the duct cleaning job involves cutting a big hole in the duct right above the furnace. So, it seemed prudent to deal with the same company that might have to FIX the furnace if anything went wrong...

On that first phone call, they explained the pricing. $475 for ten vents...plus $20 for each additional vent. We have 15 vents in this house (including the cold air returns).  So, our bill will be $575.

Yikes.  In my own head, I was thinking more like $250...

But, after the initial sticker shock -- I scheduled the duct cleaning for 8:00 the following Friday.

I figured it would take a coupla hours....(I was going to lunch with friends at Noon)...

Young Joe arrived right at 8:00 AM.
The first thing he did was haul this GIANT SUCKING VACUUM into the basement.  It had to be positioned near the furnace...

This picture shows the giant HOLE Joe had to cut into the vent right above the furnace...the other end of that huge hose is attached to the giant vacuum.

Then, he had to haul the air compressor hose upstairs...
One by one, he took off each vent cover -- vacuumed it, brushed it, and put the air compressor hose down that duct to blow and dislodge the 40 years of accumulated dust bunnies and hairballs.
He had a "baby vac"to clean the vents.
Joe had to push the air compressor hose down every vent...then, scrub the vent cover, and use the Baby Vac to clean the immediate area.

The giant vacuum was in the basement, to suck the loosened debris...but the actual air compressor was located inside the van.
It was a HUGE air compressor...and the hose Joe put down every vent had all these octopus fingers on the end that wiggled and banged once they inside the vents.

 

Joe was still working upstairs when I left for lunch with my friends. John was at the house, and I figured Joe would be finished in another hour.

BOY -- WAS I WRONG.  Joe was still working when I got home at 3:30.  HOLY COW -- THIS DUCT CLEANING IS A LOT MORE INVOLVED THAN I IMAGINED...

By 4:00, Joe was putting a metal patch over the big round hole he cut into the duct above the furnace...then, he rolled up the air compressor hose, and hauled the giant vacuum out of the basement.

Another thing I wasn't prepared for (or warned about) -- was that the next day -- when we actually turned the furnace on (it got cold that night) -- it blew all kinds of debris into the house.  Ugh.  I guess when you disturb 40 years of accumulated dust bunnies -- there's bound to be some reluctant dirt that got belatedly knocked loose...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is way different than our duct cleaning! Maybe it's because we have a Trane furnace and heatpump system. But we had no cutting holes and no mess afterwards.
    They clean out our dryer vent duct also, as it is about 20 feet from dryer to outside vent in our house.

    ReplyDelete