Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Our 1970 Wedding Reception

For over a decade, my son Ross was a professional photo-journalist. He takes GREAT pictures. And he owns some pretty sophisticated camera equipment...so, OF COURSE, I put him in charge of the family photos for our 50th Anniversary celebration.

But the problem with that plan is that I DIDN'T GET THE SD CARD...ugh...

I'm sure his plan is to pick the best pictures, then have them developed or framed...and that will be his gift to us.

But, I'm more of a fan of the out-takes, y'know? I've never been much of a perfectionist when it comes to photography...I LOVE having pictures that take me back to a particular moment in time...

Like -- when a 3-year old is screaming when Mom tries to sit him on Santa's lap for the first time...

Anyway -- I wish I had those pictures from our party. But I don't...Hopefully, you'll see them sometime before Christmas...

This was one of the outfits Lilly was considering for our family pictures.  She bought it off the Halloween Rack at the Goodwill Store -- and LOVED IT. The green chiffon reminded me of my bridesmaid's dresses....although this green is more seafoam...
My bridesmaids dresses were more of a pea green (chartreuse was big in 1970).  Jackie, my cousin-maid-of-honor, was fake adjusting my FABULOUS headpiece (which cost more than my dress.) You've gotta admit -- her dress is really cute!
In Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, it is traditional to have a "Dollar Dance".  Everybody dances with the bride, and gets a piece of wrapped wedding cake and a shot of whiskey.
I was NOT a good dancer -- but John was. And, since the money was rolling in, he kept insisting the polka should go on.... and on...and on....

 

We made $750 from the "dollar dance" (John's father kept going through the line, brandishing $20 bills).  That was enough to pay for our reception.

We got married at Holy Family church in New Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Our reception was held at Sacred Heart Catholic Church (also in New Philadelphia).  The women of the church made all the food...we had halupkees, perogies, and kielbasa. It cost $3.75 per person, and we had 100 guests.

John and I were living in Washington, D.C.  I had a job with COMSAT, and he was just out of the Navy.  So, we bought all the booze for the reception in D.C. (no tax).

In 1970, most Iowa weddings took place in the church basement.  And the menu was always the same: white cake, mints, nuts, coffee and punch.  (never any alcohol).

Somebody recently said, "you had an open bar at your reception?  And it was in a CHURCH?"....

I replied, "it was a Catholic church."

2 comments:

  1. LOL, yes a Catholic church! Mine was Lutheran. Cake, coffee, mints and punch! Fellowship hall. :)

    ReplyDelete