Wednesday, November 11, 2015

To Honor Our Veterans

Last fall, it was an honor for me to write a story about the Quilts of Valor Foundation for Inspired To Sew magazine.

Here is a link to that issue. (I hope you also enjoy the interview I did with Mary Mulari!)

Quilts of Valor is a genuine grassroots organization, with thousands of volunteers all across the country.

Terry Austin, the local coordinator, invited us to attend their 2014 Veteran's Day event, when they awarded 25 quilts at a ceremony in Rock Island, Illinois. Here are some pictures of that day, and their beautiful quilts. It is a wonderful thing they're doing...
Terry Austin and John. She was a terrific emcee...
There was a large audience...
Veterans from Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan...
The Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines....
Each quilt was lovingly draped on the receiving veteran....
THEN, they had patriotic cupcake refreshments...
A large group picture. 
The only WW II veteran being honored on this day was Lillian -- who was a WAVE in the Navy.
While John was comparing good old Navy days with Lillian, I was visiting with her granddaughter. On her 90th birthday, Lillian went sky-diving....

 *****************
This year, my husband John and my son Elliott were both honored with their own Quilt of Valor...I'd hoped to have the pictures for today's post, but that didn't happen.  It was a very special day...and I will write about it.

But, in the meantime -- today is Veteran's Day.  Thank you for your service.  We are a grateful nation...

No comments:

Post a Comment