Monday, November 23, 2015

The First snow day of the year

WE HAD OUR FIRST BLIZZARD...
We had 8" of heavy, wet snow -- which totally socked me in.  Although it did get sunny in the afternoon, I did not feel the need to fight my way down the long lane....

So, my first Snow Day of the winter, I stayed cozy and quiet in the house.  Here's how it went...
  • John made breakfast. His wonderful brown eggs, bacon and toast.
  • I went to the basement and sewed insert side panels into Warren's too-small John Deere plaid fleece jacket. (wait till you see it -- it is so cute!)
  • Then, I repaired the cloth Mittens hamper...and tried to gather up winter mittens and hats.
  • I made Nancy Zieman's Banana Bread recipe...yummo...the house smelled GREAT. (recipe at the end of the post)
  • I had leftover Chili, so I boiled some macaroni, added a package of cream cheese, topped with some shredded cheese, and made a chili/mac/bake.
  • Since I was in the kitchen, I decided to pressure cook the giblets for Thanksgiving stuffing. That'll give me a head start on some of the prep work...
  • I did a basement treasure hunt for last year's WINTER gloves, mittens and hats
  • I spent a quiet, leisurely hour reading the wonderful book, Personal History, by Katharine Meyer Graham
*************
At 6:30, because Elliott and Emily were invited to go out for dinner,  they brought both Lilly and Warren here to spend the night.

Hey -- they're young!!  They have a different criteria for being "snowed in"...

So my quiet day turned into a riotous loud night...with the kids running around, generally chasing the dog with a lot of random screaming.

*******************

Nancy Zieman’s A–Z Quick Bread Recipe  (most delicious)

Blend together
3 eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Add
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups all-purpose flour

Add 2 cups of “A–Z” Such as:

2 cups unsweetened applesauce
2 cups bananas, mashed
2 cups carrots, shredded 2 cups zucchini, shredded
“N” for nuts is optional

Note: For moist bread, use 1 cup of applesauce and 1 cup of another fruit or veggie.

Pour into two loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 50–55 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment