Thursday, September 10, 2015

Rita's Blogging Rhythm

WHAT?? No blog today?? Sorry...John and I are in Pennsylvania, visiting his family and I'm too busy LIVING a life to write about it. I'm going to go back and post some oldies (just because I appreciate you coming here today) -- but there won't be anything NEW until at least next Tuesday.

But then -- oh boy o boy o -- do I have a LOT TO TELL YOU!!

My favorite new summer recipe (originally cooked in 2013) -- now a regular:

From my book-breakfast-buddy, Linda P. This sounds SOO DELICIOUS. I'm making it today -- with Popovers, of course!!

BUSHELS OF TOMATOES waiting to be made into this delicious pie!!

Southern Tomato Pie
1 refrigerated pie crust
1 cup light mayo
8 oz. shredded cheddar (2 cups)
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/4 c sliced scallions (I used Vadalia)
1 1/3 lb ripe plum tomatoes (8 - 10 med.) sliced
Place oven rack in bottom position. Heat oven to 350. Line a 9" pie plate with crust. Crimp edges. Prick bottom and sides of crust and bake 10-12 minutes until dry and slightly puffy.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together mayo, 1 1/4 c. cheese and the pepper.
Sprinkle bottom of cooled crust with 1/2 c. cheese. Top with 1/4 of the sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with 1 tbls. scallions. Spoon 1/3 of the mayo mixture on top. Continue to layer 3 more times. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 c. cheese.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden and juices are bubbling.
Cool 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment