Thursday, September 24, 2015

Grandma Potty Boot Camp #101

I got a lot of emails about how Grandma Potty Boot Camp actually works -- and how Warren has been doing. He was 2 1/2 years old, and mostly non-verbal...so we all wondered if it would "take"... It's been a month -- and HE'S DOING GREAT.

Here's how theThree Day Boot Camp works...

DAY ONE: Warren was pretty much going Commando...and this was the day he sat on the potty for long periods of time. I had a bucket of toys next to him...and a make-shift play table. Cars, toys, stickers...anything to KEEP HIM ON THE POTTY...
He did a lot of sitting...
Some actual peeing...(both when he was on and OFF the potty)
But no pooping. None. Whatsoever...
Whenever he DID land a bit of pee in the right place, I did a happy dance, gave him stickers and hugs. He was very pleased with himself...

DAY TWO was a whole different deal. Warren wore loose shorts, and I asked him to sit on the potty every hour or so for ten minutes. He was surprisingly agreeable about doing this -- and he only had one accident the whole day. (But, still no poop)
I still put a diaper on him for naps and overnight -- but when I got him out of bed at 8:00, he was delighted to sit on the potty...
DAY THREE: I still ASKED Warren every hour if he needed to sit on the potty. But the big change on this day was that if he said "NO" -- I accepted that answer. The mission was to get HIM to tell ME he had to go "pee/poop" (for Warren, it's all one word...kinda...and maybe he didn't communicate his wishes so much with the English language as he did by rushing to the potty while pulling down his shorts)...

He had a perfect day -- no accidents. But it was Day Three with no poop!

His usual habit was to go off by himself to do that business, and twice I caught him doing his disappearing act...so I whisked him to the potty. But he was NOT DOING THAT.

I was waking him up from his naps, and early in the morning, so he wouldn't be able to do that business in his Pamper...

At Noon on Day Three, I was watching him like a hawk...when he got this look on his face.  He started to cry...I rushed him on to the potty...and then it happened. 

The next bit is too gross to write about. 

But, as Warren sat on the potty, I was holding his left hand, he had a B in his right hand, and Lilly was standing on his right side, petting his head.  Frankie was sitting at his feet...and he knew we were all on his team. 

Not only did everything come out just fine...(and I DO MEAN EVERYTHING)....BUT I am delighted to report that Warren has not had a single accident.


1 comment: