Monday, November 10, 2014

Laundry = Love


I miss Oprah.

Honestly, there are still many days when I sit down at 3:00 to watch Oprah. It is ALWAYS a disappointment when I remember I can't do that...

One of the life-altering things I learned from Oprah was that people give and receive love DIFFERENTLY. My husband is not a man who enjoys shopping for diamond rings or writing emotional love letters. But, thanks to Oprah, I realized John shows love by FIXING THINGS and keeping the pantry fully stocked at all times. We will never, ever run out of Charmin toilet paper, Hellman's mayonnaise or dried oregano....

And, again -- thanks to Oprah -- I decided to TELL John that doing laundry, and making a wonderful bed with luxurious, soft, clean, fresh-smelling, line-dried cotton sheets every single Monday is HOW I SHOW LOVE. (as opposed to his preferred method -- I'm sure you can imagine..)

Our marriage changed once we both understood how each of us gives and RECEIVES love. When I see six new cans of black olives -- I feel loved. And I hope he feels the same way when he gets into bed, and gets to sleep between two beautiful percale cotton sheets, which were lovingly line-dried...

At this point, I have over 900 pins on my Pinterest board, "Laundry". Here are some of my current favorites...
On Mondays, especially, my life seems very full.  Full of children AND laundry -- these two things certainly go hand-in-hand. 

And I am looking forward to having the conversation with Lilly. How people show their love in different ways.

I wish I had known it sooner. I'm glad I finally figured it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment